Stormtrooper, Saxon Divisional Assault Company, Western Front 1917
- Scale / Maßstab: 54mm
- Material: Resin
- Parts / Teile: 9
- Infosheet / Infoblatt: English
- Code: 24LS
Contents / Inhalt:
- Figure (2 parts) / (2 Teile)
- 1st Head with Steel Helmet M.16 / 1. Kopf mit Stahlhelm M.16
- Alternative Head with Field Cap / Alternativ-Kopf mit Feldmütze
- Luger P08 / Pistole 08
- Tent Cloth M1892 / Zeltbahn M1892
- Gas Mask Bag / Segeltuchtasche für Gasmaske
- Water Bottle M07 / Feldflasche M1907
- Labe Water Bottle M15 / Labeflasche mit Trinkbecher M1915
- Trench Knife / Grabendolch
- Figure Base / Figur-Sockel
Extracts from the Infosheet with this figure:
Steel Helmet M16 / Stahlhelm M.16: This helmet, which first entered service in 1916 during the initial stages of the battle of Verdun was designed by Professor Friedrich Schwerd and made from a high quality chrome-nickel steel. Weighing between 950 and 1200g, depending on size – more heavier than the Allied helmets, but giving a better protection to the face, ears and neck. The horn venting bolts on each side enabled the fitting of an extra armoured shield over the helmet (also available in 1:32nd & 1:16th scales from Jon Smith Modellbau) for sentries, MG troops, snipers or other particularly exposed / dangerous employment. This weighing around 2000g was seldom used; although a total of 50000 were supposedly produced.
Colour: issued in field-grey, which would reflect in sun light and proved unsatisfactory. Various trials were carried out, but it was not until July 1918 that an official camouflage scheme in brown and green sharp-edged irregular patens, all outlined in black was introduced. These were carried out by unit maintenance workshops (other weapons and equipment, particularly artillery pieces and MGs were also rendered in the same way). It seems that helmets were re-painted by individuals or units in a variety of colour schemes before the official order and items with red-brown, ochre (brownish-yellow), green and blue-grey, all outlined in black were common. Helmets were also covered using the light-brown sandbag material, or the issued helmet-covers, seen particularly in the later war period.
The M.17 & 18 helmets followed with only slight differences to the inside padding and chin strap fasteners. The last model to see service during the war, if only in small numbers was the M.18 Ohrenausschnitt, or Helmet M.18 with ear cut-outs (also available in 1:32nd & 1:16th scales from JSM), more commonly (and stubbornly) known as the Cavalry or Telegraph Helmet. The cut-outs were in fact a further design feature of the M.18 to improve the hearing ability of the wearer and avoid the hissing noise experienced by troops.
Water Bottle M1907 / Feldflasche M1907: This had a capacity of 0.8 litres and was attached to the haversack or equipment belt by means of a leather strap and buckle. Originally made from aluminium, later Ersatz material and covered with a brown felt material. On one side are the four metal snap fasteners, which were normally painted over in grey. It was quite common for front line troops, particularly during combat periods to carry a second water bottle.
Labe Water Bottle M1915 / Labeflasche mit Trinkbecher M1915: Quite often called the Sanitäter or medical canteen and had a larger capacity of 1.2 litres. The canteen-drinking cup was originally made from aluminum and later in tinned steel, which sat on top of the bottle covering the cork plug. The light brown-grey felt covering is reinforced around the neck and rear. The natural coloured leather-carrying device enabled the canteen to be hooked to equipment or with an added harness hung over the shoulder. From November 1917 the leather straps were replaced by Papierstoff (a cloth substitute made of compressed paper-like fibers).
Canvas Gas Mask Holder / Segeltuchtasche für Gasmaske: In 1915 a canvas gas mask holder was issued with 2 dividing sections within, which stowed the mask, filter and reserve-filter in a metal tin. The holder was generally worn either attached to the belt below the rucksack at the rear, or on the right side/front by means of 2 belt loops, fastened with zinc buttons. Later versions of the holder had ring attachments on each of the belt loops enabling the fixing to the bread bag. Although, generally used in the early part of the war, late war photos still show troops issued with this holder. During combat the gas mask would of cause be more often worn at the front, sometimes even hung around the neck in the ready or alert position.
Tent Cloth M1892 / Zeltbahn M1892: Around the upper body the soldier wears a wrapped up M1892 tent section in the horseshoe-fashion. The two ends are held together with the leather greatcoat-fixing strap. Unlike the bulky greatcoats worn in the same fashion with other troops, these tent sections appeared quite flat on the upper bodies and would not have hindered the soldier. Amongst the normal use of making a quick shelter, these tent sections were quite often employed as substitute stretchers to evacuate causalities. Colour: Light brown-grey. (On original black & white photos they always appear to be a lot lighter against the field-grey tunics of the wearers).
Pistol 08 / P 08: The 08 – or Luger (the Germans never called this weapon the Luger – this is an anglicised name) was first produced in 1900, with the German military taken it on in 1908 – hence P 08. As a service pistol it had its drawbacks, mainly it was expensive, difficult to produce and susceptible to dirt. Colour of holster: blackened leather.
Combat Dagger / Grabendolch: At first these unofficial weapons were purchased privately or made in unit metal smiths and workshops (first productions were in many cases shortened bayonets). The official order came in May 1915 from the Prussian War Ministry to issue 6 trench knifes per infantry unit. This was of cause inadequate and the amount was changed at first to 12 and later to 24 per unit. In March 1917 the official quantity was raised again to 40 per Company (Infantry, Engineer and Trench Mortar companies on the Western Front, 24 to units serving on the Eastern Front). Popular were knifes that could be attached to the end of rifles.
What seems strange is that there was never any standardisation put into effect by the War Ministries and many different designs of knives were purchased from civilian companies in Germany. Colour: On the photo the dagger appears to have wooden handle grips, the rest, including scabbard in metal.