This figure is an older cast and there are now only a few examples in stock. On main body part there are some air bubbles and deviation in resin colour, otherwise ok. The reduced price of 29.00 EUR (non EU customers less VAT) will be retained until all the figures are sold. For questions concerning quality of parts, please contact Jon Smith direct: firstname.lastname@example.org
Light Machine Gunner, Musketen Battalion, Western Front, April 1917
- Scale / Maßstab: 1:16
- Approx. height of figure: 113mm
- Material: Resin / Acryl Glass (Perspex)
- Parts / Teile: 22
- Infosheet / Infoblatt: English
- Code: 11MGS
Contents / Inhalt:
- Figure (8 parts) / Figur (8 Teile)
- 2nd Alternative Head / 2. Kopf
- Spectacles (Perspex)
- Water Bottle M1997 / Feldflasche M1907
- Haversack M1887 / Brotbeutel M1887
- Gas Mask M1917 / Gasmaske M1917 Metallbehälter
- Bayonet 84/98 / Seitengewehr 84/98
- Lewis Gun .303-inch / Lewis MG Kal. .303-inch
- Bipod / Zweibein
- Magazine / Magazin
- Pistole 08 / Po1
- Stick Grenade M.15 / Stielhandgranate M.15
- Steel Helmet M1916 / Stahlhelm M1916
- Figure Base / Figur-Sockel
Extracts from the Infosheet with this figure:
The figure depicts a member of a four man LMG section belonging to one of the Musketen battalions – in this case the IV/117th Infantry Regt., from Hessen. They are just returning from the support line were they had, along with the rest of the platoon been called out during the night. A reported breach of the front line had in fact been a large- scale trench raid made by a Scottish unit for intelligence gathering purpose.
Formed in the summer of 1915, the Musketen battalions, 3 in all, with a strength of 500 man each, were first equipped with the Danish Madsen LMG (captured from the Russians). These units were kept behind the front lines and used to cover any breakthrough of the defences – a role, which they were well suited for.
Haversack M1914 / Brotbeutel M1914: Also known as the bread bag. Made out of a canvas material and generally used for rations etc. It was a popular place to keep the spare gas mask filter. The small leather fastening strap on middle left side is to fasten the water bottle, avoiding any unnecessary movement. Colour: grey- brown or khaki canvas colour, buttons – zinc, small leather straps – brown.
Water Bottle / Feldflasche M1907: This had a capacity of 0.8 litres and was attached to the haversack/bread bag by means of a leather strap and buckle. Originally made from aluminium, later Ersatz material and covered with a brown felt material. On one side are the four metal snap fasteners, which were either left blank or painted over in grey. It was quite common for front line troops, particularly during combat periods to carry a second water bottle. The screw on top was in aluminium.
Gas Mask M17 Tin / Bereitschaftsbüchse 17 für Gasmaske M1917: The gas mask was kept in a metal container, which had a brown cloth / canvas strap. Troops serving in the front area often wore it in the alert position at the front of the chest. There was no room for the reserve filter in the container; this was normally kept in the bread bag. Through constant use the containers became easily dented. The seam on the side of tin is where the metal is joined together (not a cast line). Colour: grey or green-grey.
Spectacles: It was not uncommon for front line troops, even in the infantry to wear spectacles and is seen on many photos of this period. There are 2 (1 spare) computer cut spectacles in 0.25 mm plexi-glass and a strip of thin copper wire to represent the bows (side pieces) within this figure kit. It would be advisable putting off the assembly of the spectacles until last, also leaving the head off the figure. Paint the wire and the outside of the glass separately. If you paint just the outer edge of the spectacles this should shine through the plexi-glass, giving a good impression of a metal rim or frame. Glue the spectacles over the nose first (a small dab of wood-glue is ideal), and then fix the bows each side afterwards. Colour: flat- brass.
Lewis Gun: Originally designed by Samuel MacLean and then redesigned by Colonel Isaac Newton Lewis of the United States Coast Artillery. In 1913, after having the gun rejected by the US Army, Colonel Lewis set up production in a factory in Liege, Belgium. Before the Germans overran Belgium in 1914 the production was transferred to the Birmingham Small Arms Company in England. As both sides settled down to mainly four years of static trench warfare, a need for a light machine gun in the British Army became apparent. When introduced it was a welcomed addition to the infantryman’s firepower, even with its complex design and numerous different types of stoppages. The rotating magazine held 47 .303-inch rounds in two layers. When being carried on the shoulder the magazine was normally removed to allow the gun to sit more comfortably, closer to the centre of the body. The Germans used captured Lewis guns extensively, equipping infantry, Stormtrooper, MG Units and parts of their Musketen battalions – replacing the Danish Madsens. The guns were re-chambered to take the German 7.92 mm round and unofficially called Tellergewehr or plate rifle. Many German Units retained their Lewis guns, even after the introduction of Germany’s first light machine gun, the Maschinengewehr 08/15, which was somewhat cumbersome and noticeably heavier (17.7 Kg. to 12.25 Kg.). Colour: the wooden stock and pistol grips are of a dark wood. All other parts are a dark gun- metal.